Monday, December 8, 2008

Random Update

Nothing much, just landed in office straight from a trip to hometown and bloody APSRTC buses always runs slow and I repeatedly trust them and ends up feeling cheated. Finally after some grueling 16 hours journey I went straight to office (barring the 2 hours break to fresh up) and half asleep as i was typing this post. (continuing it on Wednesday below.. )

Trip to home town was refreshing and urban birding was exciting. I started noticing things at home town which I never did before!I tried sharing the observations with our family and thankfully they think I am not insane!!Here is the strange perch of the White throated King Fisher that is commonly found across.
Must be waiting for it's mate to play see-saw!??It is not it's usual perch, once can find it usually near water bodies, wonder what is it up to?

I always felt that my hometown do not have those special or bright or colorful birds. But I was proved wrong. Just when I moved out for a haircut, there came the highlight of my whole trip.. the Eurasian Golden Oriole. What a beauty!!!I was very happy to see this one at my hometown! Not surprisingly my uncle never noticed it.,. I told you it's just a matter of "noticing" things that makes a difference..

These bright golden yellow birds leaves you at awe and this one is no exception. It is a winter migrant to South India and not a "resident". The Drongos are chasing it away from their territory. This made me resolve that I would explore more wooded areas around my hometown pretty soon.

Now I am sure all of us had seen this guy near our homes.

This is the DRONGO and look at it's beautiful tail, the big give-away. They are found very widely across India. A couple seems to have nested close to our home and they put up a great show.

Next came the black beauty - the male ASIAN KOEL with it's stunning RED eyes!
A generic note- All beautiful and colorful birds are male!! (although we have very few exceptions). So next time you see a beautiful bird with a bright colors or plumage, the chances that it is MALE is high.God is a Fair man!:)

Besides these, I noticed the Ants and their relationship with the ticks (another post) and few other birds. Finally the urge in me to find our the birding places around my home town is increasing!! This trip had given the right inspiration!!So donno where I end up...

Now if you are tired of watching and reading about birds... (you need to bear with this trend in my new blog for a while..) here is a Homo Sapien at work..

A naturographer at work!! or PAW- Photgprapher at work .. the way my friend Deepa called it.

The most exciting thing I am looking forward is the 15 day vacation that we are going to enjoy this year end starting 19 December and ending 4th Jan.. Thank god I am with this company!!! (aah I can smell some J factor)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! So u've become a full-time bird-watcher!
    So u carried along ur camera for the haircut too?? :P

    Well, well... that male beauty stuff is valid only for birds and anumals..... Luckily the humans are exempted from that rule!

    And minus me from the J factor, buddy! I too have a vacation in the year-end! So no more feeling J abt ur company now... Ha ha.. :)

    Ok... Good work, Naturographer... Keep up the trend forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice boys errrr birds I meant hehe.

    Well I really really miss the koel. Listening to its koo koo is something I miss very very much. Have missed it forever!

    Now now, don't let the male ego get in the way of seeing the beauty in female birds..they are beautiful too :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. i noticed that off late you are noticing too many birds without giving us any prior notice.. this should be noted by you.. lolz..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice snaps Chandu!!! and speaking of J factor, I'm on vacation for a whole month...yaayyy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sum- You too had a vacation!enjoi
    @Kaush- oye welcome to moi new espace.aah i just presented the facts no egos !:)
    @Pleeti- Very good observation, yes I am drooling over birds these days
    @Hema- ONE MONTH of vacation.. aaaah that's too much

    ReplyDelete