Saturday, December 14, 2019

Guava moth!

Two weeks back I went to buy vegetables and picked up some guavas along. While I was about to eat one of the guavas, as I tried to clean the base of the guava, there popped up a small caterpillar. Since there are no guava trees near my home, I thought why not take care of it in a small plastic container. I am usually not a fan of rearing butterflies or moths at home. Given an opportunity I prefer to leave them on the tree since my wasp friends would need them :) . In this case, I took an exception since there is no guava tree closeby.

The next day, I see that the caterpillar appears to be missing from the jar only to find it on top of the jar. The day after, I went past a lake close to home where I picked up some guava leaves and promptly kept them inside the container hoping that it helps the caterpillar. Few days went past and I was thrilled to see the caterpillar frass at the bottom of the plastic container. I noticed it ate away one leaf and folded a leaf together and started living in it.


I became busy and couldn't take photos of it for a while. Finally couple of days back I noticed a cocoon and was looking forward to discover who emerges out of it. Today I was thrilled to see this strange looking moth that emerged and stayed inside. I transported the container outside in the balcony hoping that it flies off tomorrow. Not sure if it can find the nearest guava tree.



Here is a pic of it resting on a curry leaf just to give you an idea of it's size. I dropped curry leaf after finding an egg on another curry leaf (probably common mormom egg), however before i could shift, the egg was cleaned off by a pigeon.

I would stick to my decision of not to rear them at home.  Just once, this time curiosity got the better of me, so instead of letting it die, I let it grow as a moth. Going forward I would like to keep only such things that can't be relocated. This was a good experience and I hope the moth finds its way to its mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment